May 2016, Gurgaon
• A stupendous increase of almost 40 percent over the official figures of 2009 recorded in 2014 with around 18 million visitors travelling outbound from India
• Heavy dependence on air network for outbound trips as 97% of all the trips are by air
• Internet tops the chart when it comes to the medium of ticket booking by taking up 48% of the share of all the trip booking (48% of all bookings )
• Smartphone to act as one of the important mediums, with 13% of all online booking in 2016 expected to be through mobile phone.
In its latest publication, “SOURCE MARKET INSIGHTS: INDIA”, Ken Research provides a detailed analysis of India’s outbound tourism industry. It covers the market trends, spending patterns of tourists for various categories in the travel and tourism sector, such as purpose of spending and top destination of tourists in its report. Information and insights on historic and forecast tourist volumes and values have also been provided.
India has become one of the fastest growing outbound tourism industries given its favorable economic conditions, such as high growth rate of GDP, increase in disposable income and emergence of potential entrepreneurs who aim to mark their success globally. Further growth is expected as a total of 32.3 million outbound trips are forecasted in 2020, outpacing China to become the fastest growing outbound tourism industry. As there is an increase in people shifting abroad, there is a resultant increase in number of tourists visiting their friend and relatives. Ignoring its positives like high and repeated visitation, longer stays and a greater share of wallet for experiences, the VFR segment is often mistaken to be a less-attractive segment of the outbound tourism industry. Besides their propensity to visit with greater frequency and stay for longer periods, VFR are cost eff¬ective to target as they can be reached via VFR hosts in destination’s home market. Local businesses and community associations, community press and geographic targeting have proved to be e¬ffective means of targeting these groups.
With a lot of Indian origin people in the UK, trips to this European nation are because of VFR and the UK is one of the largest source markets. On the other hand, the fast growing reason leisure has Singapore on the top of its list. India is a diverse country with multiple religion and numerous languages, which plays an important role in the destinations people choose. Thus, quality of the experience is critical to a perception of value. So, it becomes important to make sure that value is attuned to Indian needs by emphasizing uniqueness, high quality and good service are all important.
Key points covered in the report are:
• Market trends in India’s outbound tourism sector.
• Historic and forecast tourist volumes and values covering Israel’s outbound tourism sector
• Insight on demand-side dynamics within the industry
• List of promising markets and key source and destination countries
For more coverage, click on the following link:
Source Market Insights: Poland
Source Market Insights: China
Ankur Gupta, Head Marketing & Communications